logo 2

RUST-X VCI Products and their Applications



VCI technology, Volatile Corosion Inhibitor, are volatile corrosion inhibitors that are released over time from carriers in a given space. These can be foils, papers, sponges, tapes, stickers or box emitters. VCI anti-corrosion products protect metals against corrosion by releasing corrosion inhibitors over time. Inhibitors fill the space and create a protective layer on the surface of the protected metal.



The SMP VCI (Speedy Moisture Passivation of Volatile Corosion Inhibitor) technology, patented by Rust-X USA, helps the automotive, aerospace, engineering, metallurgical industries and wherever “clean” anti-corrosion protection is required. Products protected with VCI materials do not require cleaning before further processing, assembly or storage.



How VCI works: Rust-X VCI works by deactivating moisture by evaporating chemicals from foil, paper, powder or other media and reacting with moisture to form a multimolecular bond that does not react with the metal surface. VCI also creates a thin layer on the surface of the metal invisible to the naked eye, which deactivates the flow of electrons that causes the metal to oxidize. Rust-X VCI also changes the pH value of the packaged space to around pH 8-9, making it alkaline. In an alkaline atmosphere, the possibility of corrosion decreases significantly over many years.





Rust-X VCI works in seconds and under the right conditions, the life of active protection is extended to 15 years. Within the first 6 hours from the application of VCI Rust-X products, 20% of the inhibitors remain in the protected space, the remaining 80% of the volatile compounds are exhausted even up to 15 years. Such a rapid release of VCI agents in our products is intended to protect the protected metal as quickly as possible. Moisture condensation on the surface is greatest during this phase of packaging, so neutralizing it is a priority at this time. The lack of it or the slow release of VCI agents can cause moisture to settle and the onset of surface corrosion.